Observing abrupt modifications in the body can come as an unwelcome surprise. The sudden buildup of stomach fat, bloating after lunch, or exhaustion after a busy day, are indications that your body is changing and requires extra self-care and attention. Particularly after reaching the age of 40, hormonal changes and a sedentary way of life can cause us to age more rapidly if proper measures are not taken. Excessive eating may no longer agree with your digestion, and insufficient physical activity can lead to discomfort and soreness. Nevertheless, focusing on these initial signs of aging and making appropriate lifestyle changes can help delay the aging process, and keep you looking and feeling younger and healthier for a considerable amount of time. (Also read | Abdominal fat after 40: Pointers and techniques to combat belly fat in women)
How to handle changes in your body during your 40s
“While aging, our bodies experience numerous changes that can be challenging to navigate. As we reach our 40s and beyond, these changes can become more noticeable and difficult to manage. Do you feel like your late-night snacks are lingering around longer? Well, you are not mistaken. As our oestrogen levels decrease, our bodies tend to store more fat, making late-night snacking problematic as we age. I know what you are thinking: “Well that’s just great…” The truth is, we can’t consume food in the same way we did in our 20s, but that does not mean we cannot still indulge in our favorite treats,” says Nutritionist Bhakti Arora Kapoor in her recent Instagram post.
How can you achieve this?
Building strength through resistance training along with cardiovascular exercises, nourishing your body with whole foods instead of processed ones. Drinking ample water, reducing consumption of energy beverages and sugary soft drinks, engaging in physical activity, and limiting stress to regulate hormones and metabolism can help you achieve holistic well-being after 40.
Straightforward changes in lifestyle after 40
“This decade is all about embracing change, and that includes your nutrition. It’s a time when your body’s needs evolve, and making intelligent choices can help you feel and look your best,” says Kapoor.
Here’s your guide for this exhilarating journey:
1. Well-balanced diet: Prioritize a well-balanced plate with abundant colorful fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. This supplies the necessary nutrients that your body craves.
2. Metabolism is crucial: Your metabolism may slow down, therefore mastering portion control becomes paramount. Pay attention to your body’s hunger signals and avoid mindless eating.
3. Adequate hydration: Stay properly hydrated. Water keeps your skin radiant, aids digestion, and maintains your energy levels.
4. Maintaining good bone health: Focus on calcium and Vitamin D for strong bones. Dairy products, leafy greens, and exposure to sunlight are beneficial.
5. Engage in mindful eating: Embrace mindful eating to savor each bite, reducing the risk of overeating and digestive problems.
6. Regular physical activity: Combine a healthy diet with consistent exercise to preserve muscle mass, boost metabolism, and alleviate stress.
7. Prioritize self-care: Give importance to self-care; it is not only about what you eat but also how you nurture yourself. During your 40s, nourishing your body and soul is a beautiful journey of self-love and well-being.
Presented by News Live Updates